My family

My family

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Show & Tell Tuesday

I read a few blogs faithfully:  Mix & Match Mama and Pinterest Told Me To

Both blogs are about families who live in TX so it’s like getting my weekly dose of home.  Both blogs have a “show & tell” post every other Tuesday.  I thought it would be fun to play along! :)

January 19th – Momfessionals  (confessions of being a mom)


Since my kids are older – 17 & 21 – I’m going waaayyy back on some of these confessions!

  1. I’ve been known to slip the kids a Benadryl on long road trips.  OK there…..I said it!  I get horribly car sick even if I’m sitting in the front seat.  The only way I could keep from throwing up is to take a Dramamine.  Well, Dramamine makes me super sleepy.  To be even the slightest bit pleasant during those road trips, I would have to take the Dramamine then sleep for the first hour.  After that, I could read, play with the kids, all the normal things a mom would do.  If I didn’t sleep the first hour, I was miserable to be around.  Here’s the catch:  I couldn’t sleep if the kids were playing.   My solution: EVERYONE but the driver slept for the first hour! 

  1. At least once a week for supper, we have “fend for yourself” night.  There are just some days that I can’t muster up the energy to fix supper.  I don’t care what anyone eats on these nights…..they’re on their own.  Over time, this night became Delanie’s favorite.  Hmmm……what does that say about my cooking?

  1. Mom is officially off duty.  That is exactly word-for-word what I tell my kids sometimes when I’ve had enough of the bickering.  Lord have mercy…..is there anything worse than two kids bickering?  It makes me want to pull my hair out! 

  1. I’m the only one allowed to do laundry.  Weird, I know……but the thought of someone else touching my undies makes me crazy.  Plus, let’s be honest, I wanted to do this for the kids.  I love laundry…..especially the folding.  It’s incredibly relaxing to me.  I know I should have taught Garrett how to do this before he moved out of the house (guilty!) but I just couldn’t give it up.  To my children’s’ future mates, I apologize. 

  1. Please don’t make me go to Disneyworld or ChuckECheese.  Seriously…..I cannot handle it.  The crowds, the wild kids, the noise……it is sheer torture! 

  1. I don’t want my kids to grow up.  Delanie didn’t walk until she was 18 months old and that was fine by me.  She also didn’t give up her “sassy” (pacifier) until she was 4.  I always thought that the best thing I could teach my kids was how to comfort themselves.  That was a life lesson they that would get them through hard times that would inevitably come.  I’ll never forget standing in the grocery store checkout line when the lady behind me started scolding me because Delanie had her pacifier in.  I looked that old bitty in the eye and told her I would be fine if Delanie carried that pacifier to the prom with her!  Garrett’s comfort came in the form of a stuffed Winnie the Pooh bear.  Man oh man….. he would raise the roof if I tried taking it away to run it through the wash.  As he got older – about 4 or 5 yrs old – it became a special blanket we called the “wubby”.  He went to church camp his 6th grade year and stuffed it into the bottom of his suitcase so he wouldn’t be scared to sleep in the camp cabins.  Too much information??

  1. We stopped at Sonic every day after school for snacks.  Every.  Single.  Day.  I was convinced my kids would perish if they didn’t have a snack before they got home (home was 10-15 minutes away).  The Sonic drive-in was across the street from the school and they ordered Texas Toast.  After Jim and I had been together awhile, he volunteered to pick them up from school one day.  He thought it was the most ridiculous thing in the world that they couldn’t wait until they got home to eat.  That was our first huge argument!

So there you have it......my deepest darkest Mom secrets.  It's amazing these kiddos turned out as well as they did!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment