My family

My family

Monday, May 4, 2015

May goals

Wow......it's already May?  It seems like every time I come up for air, another month has passed. 


If you have read this blog once or twice, you know I'm a freak for organization.  If I can find a way to make life more efficient, I'm all over it.  I have ongoing lists everywhere - groceries needed, things to do, etc.  This is the level of freak I am......all lists must be PAPER (no using the iPhone apps) because I need the satisfaction of physically crossing something off when complete.  Strange, right?!  The first step is admitting you I have a problem.  :)


I'm always looking for ways to make life easier.  Side note:  Do you know who is GREAT at doing this?  My husband!  I can't tell you how many times he has come home from running errands with some little something run more smoothly.  Anyway.....I was reading a blog last week where the author writes down goals at the beginning of each month.  For every goal, she is very specific about how to reach that goal.  Then, at the end of the month, she goes back and checks her progress.  Great idea!!  So I'm putting it all out there.....for the whole world to see......for some self-imposed accountability. 


Before we get started, this is a photo of my daily planner.  Again, I rely on good old-fashioned pen and paper.  This green sticky note follows my calendar every week as a constant reminder of what I'm focused on this month. 






Without further adieu, here are my goals for May.....



Goal #1:  Focus on my health  



Step one = Moms on the Run



I wrote this post last year when I first joined the local chapter of Moms on the Run.  I made it about half-way through the season before developing Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot.  I pushed too hard too fast but I really wanted to complete the Color Run.  I am proud to say that I finished that dang 5k but it took a toll.  I wasn't able to run again until the beginning of this year. 


Last week I joined the running club again this year.  The summer season is 18 weeks so I'm spending my summer with the walking group.  There's no hurry......exercise is exercise (that's what I need to keep telling myself).  If I'm injury-free by the end of August, I'll sign up for the fall season as a jogger. 





Step two = Yoga


Several weeks ago, I signed up for a yoga class through our local Parks & Recreation department.  We have had a few classes and I LOVE IT!!  To be honest, I didn't expect it to be as difficult as it is (I'm sweating buckets the entire time) but I'm hooked.  It's hard to explain but by the end of the session, I'm super relaxed with a renewed outlook on life.  During May, I will continue to go to my class each Monday. 







Step three = Drink more water


Since exercise and nutrition go hand in hand, this is where I'm starting.   Even though I've switched from drinking regular sodas to diet, I really need to incorporate more water into my daily routine.  During May, I vow to drink at least two bottles of water per day. 



Goal #2:  Time management





I have an hour for lunch each day and work about ten minutes from my house.  Instead of having a weekly lunch plan, I have been going with the flow.  The problem is that "flow" leads to a lot of shopping wasted time and fast food.  My office does weekly staff meetings during lunch on Wednesdays so I have four lunch hours free.  During May, I vow to spend only one lunch hour running errands (that may include an occasional trip to the shoe store and/or Chikfila) and at least one lunch hour at home. 



Goal #3:  Have fun and be creative



Life is so crazy lately that I haven't had time to scrapbook.  I really missing that creative outlet!  I found a local scrapbook "club" and they have an all-day crop this weekend!  On one hand, it's nerve-wracking when you're the new girl of the group.  On the other hand, how am I going to make friends if I don't put myself out there?  (Another mental mantra I'm holding on to.)  This month, I vow to do at least one fun/creative thing. 





Goal #4:  Etsy store



While my Etsy store is definitely a labor of love - and a way to be creative - I've been too wrapped up in the administrative side of the store (shipping, bookkeeping, etc.) lately.  During May, I vow to create at least three new designs.  Keep an eye on the store to see what I come up with....






Goal #5:  Enjoy more family time




While this may be my fifth goal, it is definitely my FIRST priority.  This month, we are going to have Delanie's birthday party come hell or high water.  And I'm going to spend a much-needed (albeit fast) weekend with Garrett at Lauren's graduation.  Throughout the month, I vow to take advantage of the beautiful weather and spend as much time on the deck with Jim as possible. 




2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your amazing! . I'm so laid back that if it goes done, good, if it doesn't that's ok too . I would be better yo take some lessons from you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your amazing! . I'm so laid back that if it goes done, good, if it doesn't that's ok too . I would be better yo take some lessons from you

    ReplyDelete